FAKE NEWS DETECTION AND INTERVENTION
Second Workshop Report
In our second Deakin-UGM joint research workshop on COVID-19 Fake News Detection and Intervention, we were pleased to invite colleagues, researchers, Fake news experts and stakeholders to discuss combating fake news amid COVID-19 uncertainties and challenges. Our research team shared current achievements in webinars, such as datasets collection, and fake news detection methodologies.
Session #1: Opening (11:00 AM -12:30 PM), Chair by Xiao
- Welcome address by Professor Julie Owens, Deputy Vice-Chancellor of Research at Deakin University, Australia
- Opening speech by Ignatius Susatyo Wijoyo, Vice Rector for Research, Business Development, and Partnerships, UGM, Indonesia.
- Project outcome report by Research Co-Lead, Associate Professor Jianxin Li (Deakin) and Dr. Hilya Mudrika Arini (UGM)
Lunch Break (12:30 PM – 13:30 PM )
Session #2: Invited Talks (13:30 PM– 16:00 PM), Chair by Jianxin and Hilya
- Prof. Widodo Muktiyo, Expert Staff of Minister Communications and Informatics, Ministry of communications and informatics, Indonesia.
- Ms Mutiara Anissa, Science Communicator, Founder of Pandemic Talks, Indonesia. Topic: Coronavirus Fake News: How @pandemictalk Instagram Platform is Tackling Hoax and Misinformation
- Dr Siqin Wang, JSPS Research Fellow, University of Tokyo, Japan; Associate Chair, Spatial Data Lab, Center of Geographic Analysis, Harvard University, USA. Topic: People as sensors: the premise of using social media data in computational social science study.
- Dr Xiao Huang, Assistant Professor at the University of Arkansas, USA. Topic: Social media mining under the COVID-19 context: Progress, challenges, and opportunities.
- Dr Chunyang Chen, Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia. Topic: Cut through “Infodemic” by Understanding and Supplying People’s Information Needs
10 mins Break Session #3: Keynote and Open Discussion (15:00 PM – 16:00 PM), Chair by Xiao
- Professor Catherine Bennett, Alfred Deakin Professor and Chair in Epidemiology, School of Health and Social Development, Deakin University, Australia. Topic: D/Misinformation during the pandemic: how good and bad intent contributed to the problem and the impact.
Conclusion and Networking: 16:00-16:30